Monday, May 5, 2014

05/02/2014 In other news, air traffic controllers were unaware that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 had disappeared from the radar for 17 minutes..

Lilly Chapa

In other news, air traffic controllers were unaware that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 had disappeared from the radar for 17 minutes, according to government documents released Thursday. Officials did not launch an official search and rescue mission until four hours later, the report stated. Microsoft has issued a fix for the Internet Explorer security flaw that made Department of Homeland Security officials recommend not using the browser. The fix should be installed immediately for users who have automatic updates turned on, and Microsoft officials encouraged all users to make sure they install the fix.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/

05/02/2014 Over 3 billion tons of HAZMAT are transported by commercial carriers in the U.S. each year.....

Lilly Chapa

Over 3 billion tons of HAZMAT are transported by commercial carriers in the U.S. each year, and the high risk shipment handling is governed by multiple civilian and government agencies, including the Department of Transportation and Department of Defense. But the complex web of regulations may take a toll on the safe, timely transportation of the material, according to a Government Accountability Office report released Thursday. The GAO's findings included the improper documentation and packaging of HAZMAT, leading to 27 percent of all shipments being delayed over the past five years. Facilities did not provide commercial carriers with secure hold areas for certain cargo as required by the DOD, and many carriers lack sufficient safety performance data to reliably determine whether they should transport hazardous material.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/

05/02/2014 More than 200 people were injured Friday in Seoul, South Korea, after a subway train....

By Lilly Chapa
► Minnesota police on Thursday announced that they prevented an “unimaginable tragedy” after they learned of a 17-year-old boy’s plans to kill his family and bomb the local high school. According to the Ottowa Citizen, the suspect was arrested earlier this week after a resident reported a suspicious person at a self-storage facility. “This is a classic example of citizens doing the right thing in calling the police when things seem out of place,” Capt. Kris Markeson said. The teenager told police he planned to shoot his parents and sister, start a fire in a rural field to distract first responders, and set off pressure-cooker bombs in the school cafeteria. He told officers that in the chaos, he would throw Molotov cocktails and gun down as many students as he could, and hoped that a SWAT team would kill him. Officials found a large stockpile of weapons, ammunition, and bombs in the suspect’s possession, as well as a 180-page notebook referencing the Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook shootings.
http://www.securitymanagement.com/

05/02/2014 Minnesota police on Thursday announced that they prevented an “unimaginable tragedy” after they learned of a 17-year-old boy’s plans to kill his family and bomb the local high school.

By Lilly Chapa
► Minnesota police on Thursday announced that they prevented an “unimaginable tragedy” after they learned of a 17-year-old boy’s plans to kill his family and bomb the local high school. According to the Ottowa Citizen, the suspect was arrested earlier this week after a resident reported a suspicious person at a self-storage facility. “This is a classic example of citizens doing the right thing in calling the police when things seem out of place,” Capt. Kris Markeson said. The teenager told police he planned to shoot his parents and sister, start a fire in a rural field to distract first responders, and set off pressure-cooker bombs in the school cafeteria. He told officers that in the chaos, he would throw Molotov cocktails and gun down as many students as he could, and hoped that a SWAT team would kill him. Officials found a large stockpile of weapons, ammunition, and bombs in the suspect’s possession, as well as a 180-page notebook referencing the Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook shootings.
http://www.securitymanagement.com/

05/05/2014 Security Management.com Target CEO and Chairman Gregg Steinhafel is stepping down in the wake of last year’s data breach....

By Megan Gates


Target CEO and Chairman Gregg Steinhafel is stepping down in the wake of last year’s data breach, which dealt a “devastating” blow to the No. 3 U.S. retailer and prompted congressional hearings, Reuters reports. Target made the announcement this morning and said that Chief Financial Officer John Mulligan will take over as interim president and CEO. Roxanne Austin, a current member of Target’s board of directors, has also been appointed as interim non-executive chair of the board. The announcement came after Target revealed in December 2013 that it was the victim of a cyberattack that resulted in the theft of at least 40 million credit and debit card numbers and 70 million other pieces of personal data.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/

SecurityManagement.com Four major U.S. technology companies have largely ended the practice of “quietly complying with investigators’ demands for e-mail records and other online data..


By Megan Gates
Four major U.S. technology companies have largely ended the practice of “quietly complying with investigators’ demands for e-mail records and other online data, saying that users have a right to know in advance when their information is targeted for government seizure,” according to The Washington Post. Making the change are Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, and Google, who are all updating their policies to expand routine notification of users about government data seizures, unless prevented by a court order. They are following in the footsteps of Yahoo, which announced similar changes in July. The new changes come without the support of the Department of Justice, which said in a statement that the new policies "threaten investigations and put potential crime victims in greater peril." The new policies will affect some government requests for data, but will not affect data requests approved by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, which are kept secret by law, and national security letters, which carry binding gag orders.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/

May 05, 2014 Today's HeadlinesThe World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an international health emergency as polio spreads from the conflict zones in three continents

By Megan Gates

► The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared aninternational health emergency as polio spreads from the conflict zones in three continents. A WHO emergency committee announced in Geneva that Pakistan, Syria, and Cameroon have allowed the virus, once thought to be nearly eradicated, to spread and should take extraordinary measures to stop it. The committee is calling for all children in these countries to be inoculated, or reinoculated, and all travelers from these countries to be reinoculated and “carry proof in the form an internationally recognized document,” The New York Timesreports. The committee had become "alarmed" in recent days that "polio had spread recently from Pakistan to Afghanistan, Syria to Iraq, and Cameroon to Equatorial Guinea,” according to the Times. The committee also said there was “increasing evidence that adult travelers contributed to this spread.” If the disease is allowed to spread “unchecked, this situation could result in failure to eradicate globally one of the world’s most serious vaccine-preventable diseases,” theTimes reports.
http://www.securitymanagement.com/