Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Morning Security Brief: RSA Used Second NSA Tool; Russian Troops in Ukraine, Treating Infectious Diseases, And More

By Holly Gilbert
►Reuters reports that a team of academic researchers have found a second tool that security firm RSA adopted from the National Security Agency (NSA) that would allow the spy agency to conduct wider eavesdropping on some Internet communications. A similar report by Reuters in December 2013 revealed a $10 million contract awarded to RSA by the NSA to adopt a tool called “Dual Elliptic Curve” that had a “deliberate flaw–or ‘back door’–that allowed the NSA to crack the encryption.” According to the professors’ research, the second tool, called the "Extended Random" extension for secure  Web sites, could help crack another security product provided by RSA tens of thousands of times faster. While RSA acknowledges that it works with the NSA, the company has continuously denied any intentional creation of flaws in its security products to allow the agency to better spy on digital communications.
►The head of NATO says that there is no sign Russian troops are planning to pull out from the border with Ukraine, BBC reports. Anders Fogh Rasmusse said just ahead of a NATO summit that a “political dialogue” is still the best way to solve the crisis in the European nation, which lost its region of Crimea to Russia last month in an annexation. Russian president Vladimir Putin told German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Monday that he had ordered a “partial withdrawal of Russian troops near the eastern border of Ukraine.”
http://www.securitymanagement.com/news/morning-security-brief-rsa-used-second-nsa-tool-russian-troops-ukraine-treating-infectious-dise

April 02, 2014 Today's Headlines separator Morning Security Brief: Deadly 8.2 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Chile, U.K. Prime Minister Probes Muslim Brotherhood, And More

 BBC News reports that British Prime Minister David Cameron has ordered a review of the activity of the Muslim Brotherhood in the United Kingdom. According to the article, “Recent press reports have suggested members have moved to London to escape a crackdown in Cairo, where the group backs ousted president Mohammed Morsi.” The prime minister's office said the review “would examine the group's philosophy and activities, and the government's policy towards it.” The investigation was spurred after evidence emerged that leaders from the Muslim Brotherhood convened in London last year to discuss their plan for responding to events in Egpyt. Cameron says the results of the review will be made public.

 Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) is calling for increased security at the 1 World Trade Center building in light of two recent security breaches there. “Schumer's request comes after a teenager was charged with climbing to the top of the 1,776-foot spire of 1 World Trade Center, three skydiving enthusiasts turned themselves in to face charges in a September jump off the building, and a newspaper published a photo of a guard apparently sleeping on the job,” Fox News reports. Sen. Schumer says that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) should take the lead on the training and performance of security guards at the trade center. The assistant security director of the security firm which provides security for the building, Durst, resigned on Friday. A security review for 1 World Trade Center was submitted in November to DHS and is still under review, according to the article.

http://www.securitymanagement.com/news/morning-security-brief-deadly-82-magnitude-earthquake-hits-chile-uk-prime-minister-probes-musli

March 31, 2014 FEMA Releases Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps for Ocean County, NJ

Release date: 
MARCH 31, 2014
Release Number: 
FEMA Region II PR-002–NY, NJ, PR, USVI
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on Friday, March 28, 2014, released Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) for Ocean County that reflect the latest refinements to the ongoing analysis of flood hazards. This release is the next step in the coastal Flood Insurance Study update. The Preliminary FIRMs replace the Preliminary Work Maps for Ocean County that were released in June of 2013 as an interim product.

The new maps are extremely important as FEMA, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) and Ocean County communities continue to work in partnership to support resilient communities, and to avoid or reduce the loss of life and property, and the financial impacts of flooding. The Preliminary FIRMs reflect the same coastal flood risks as the Preliminary Work Maps and have now been updated to include riverine flooding.

The release of the Preliminary FIRMs indicates the first step in the official regulatory review process. The next step is a statutory 90-day appeal and comment period, which is expected to begin in Spring 2014.  Property owners and interested parties will have the opportunity to appeal the Preliminary FIRMs by submitting technical documentation to their local Floodplain Administrators during this period.  Once the appeal period is over, and all appeals are resolved, FEMA will issue a Letter of Final Determination (LFD) to the Ocean County communities that initiates the six-month adoption period before the maps become effective.

Upon becoming effective, expected to occur in 2015, the new FIRMs will determine flood insurance rates. In the meantime, to promote higher standards for building performance and reduce potential future flood insurance costs, NJDEP and FEMA encourage Ocean County communities to refer to the standards reflected in the Preliminary FIRMs for the construction of new and substantially improved structures.
www.fema.gov

March 31, 2014 Federal Aid Programs for the State of North Carolina Declaration

Release date: 
MARCH 31, 2014
Release Number: 
HQ-14-022-FS
Following is a summary of key federal disaster aid programs that can be made available as needed and warranted under President Obama's disaster declaration issued for the State of North Carolina.
Assistance for State and Affected Local Governments Can Include as Required:
  • Payment of not less than 75 percent of the eligible costs for emergency protective measures taken to save lives and protect property and public health.  Emergency protective measures assistance is available to state and eligible local governments on a cost-sharing basis.(Source: FEMA funded, state administered.)
  • Payment of not less than 75 percent of the eligible costs for repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, bridges, utilities, buildings, schools, recreational areas and similar publicly owned property, as well as certain private non-profit organizations engaged in community service activities. (Source: FEMA funded, state administered.)
  • Payment of not more than 75 percent of the approved costs for hazard mitigation projects undertaken by state and local governments to prevent or reduce long-term risk to life and property from natural or technological disasters.  (Source: FEMA funded, state administered.) www.fema.gov

March 31, 2014 President Declares Disaster for North Carolina

Release date: 
MARCH 31, 2014
Release Number: 
HQ-14-022
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency announced that federal disaster aid has been made available to the State of North Carolina to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by a severe winter storm during the period of March 6-7, 2014.
The President's action makes federal funding available to state and eligible local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations on a cost-sharing basis for emergency work and the repair or replacement of facilities damaged by a severe winter storm in Alamance, Caswell, Davidson, Davie, Granville, Guilford, Orange, Person, and Randolph counties.
Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures statewide.
Elizabeth Turner has been named as the Federal Coordinating Officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area.  Turner said additional designations may be made at a later date if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further damage assessments.
www.fema.gov

March 31, 2014 The FEMA and State Public Assistance Funding Process

Release date: 
MARCH 31, 2014
Release Number: 
NR-117
DENVER — FEMA’s Public Assistance program provides assistance to state agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofits.
When flooding struck Colorado in September 2013, emergency life-saving measures and debris cleanup were the most immediate needs. This emergency work is usually the first to be reimbursed.
Later, in the recovery phase, more permanent repair work gets underway. Roads and bridges are repaired or replaced; major utilities and other infrastructure are brought back on line.
FEMA determines eligibility, conducts environmental and historic preservation review, approves projects and obligates the federal share or 75 percent of the project cost. FEMA obligates funds to the state, which reviews receipts and other documentation to make sure the job is done well and taxpayer money is well spent.
In Colorado, local governments and the state each pay 12.5 percent of the remaining project costs but private nonprofits pay all of the remaining 25 percent. For state agencies, the cost share depends on the category of work.
www.fema.gov

March 31, 2014 Public Invited to Comment on Flood Maps for Communities in Chambers County, TX

Release Number: 
R6-14-013
DENTON, Texas –After working together for months to create new preliminary flood maps, Chambers County and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) officials want to hear from the public about preliminary flood maps for multiple communities in Chambers County.
Homeowners, renters and business owners in Anahuac, Baytown, Beach City, Cove, Mont Belvieu, Old River and the unincorporated areas of the county should look at the preliminary flood maps so they can better understand where flood risks have been identified. Anyone who has comments or who would like to file an appeal has until June 9, 2014 to do so.
An appeal is a formal objection to proposed base flood elevations or flood depths, Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA) boundaries and zones, or floodways. Appeals must be based on technical data that show proposed maps to be scientifically incorrect. Anyone who makes an appeal must include the method, data and analysis used to support the claim.  A comment is an objection to a base map feature change such as labels, incorrect roads, jurisdictional boundaries, or any other non-appealable change.
Comments and appeals should be sent to FEMA through the local floodplain administrator. Anyone who has not had a chance to participate in local flood insurance meetings or to review the new flood maps can contact their county or community floodplain administrator. Comments and appeals should be sent to FEMA through the local floodplain administrator. Other resources include:
•             To view the online interactive flood maps, visit http://maps.riskmap6.com/TX/Jefferson. Find the map index at:http://riskmap6.com/documents/Meeting_265/48245CIND0_Hyperlink.pdf
•             To View Your Community’s Preliminary Flood Hazard Data, visit:  www.fema.gov/preliminaryfloodhazarddata.
•             Chat with someone online about flood maps: http://go.usa.gov/r6C.  Click on the “Live Chat” icon.
•             Contact a FEMA Map Specialist at 1-877-FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627); email FEMAMapSpecialist@riskmapcds.com.
www.fema.gov